A parish priest day


It was the first time I could attend the Parish Pastoral Council (PPC) meeting since I started acting as "parish priest" in the Cathedral. Every time there was a meeting I had to attend a diocesan event or I was out of the country. 

We spent the morning together going through the coming Holy Week, the report from the finance committee and the first steps of the Justice and Peace committee.

A workshop was planned for April on the role of the laity and the coming elections of the new PPC. It needs to be finalised before the end of the year when a new Diocesan Pastoral Council (DPC) will then be elected.

We finished after midday. The executive had organised lunch for all which was very good considering that some travel a long distance to attend the meeting and most of us seemed to have other appointments in the Cathedral.

In my case it was the meeting of the new Justice and Peace committee. I briefly shared with them how I see their role.

Our chairperson was involved with the youth. We finished our meetings at the same time. We then went to visit a couple of sick people in different communities. The voice had spread ("the bishop will be visiting the sick") and so another one added her name to the list.

Those sick at home are always very grateful for the visit and the prayer. They know they are being cared and it gives them strength in their suffering.