The Word became flesh...

"IZwi laba yinyama" - "The Word became flesh" is my episcopal motto. 
That is why I share part of an article by Sr McGlone

"When I was a child, the sisters taught us to pray the Angelus as the noon bell rang at school. Then, it seemed like little more than a rote recitation of Hail Marys punctuated by call and response. The faster it went, the sooner we could start lunch and recess -- and that was the real importance of the bell.

A few years ago, I returned to the Angelus in the context of my ministry and discovered a wonderful richness in it. As I heard the ringing bells from the nearby tower of St. Matthew’s Parish, I found that it offered me something both new and ancient. I had always thought of it as a Marian prayer. The New Catholic Encyclopedia describes it as a prayer celebrating the Incarnation. I think the two go together. What I now find in the Angelus is a reminder of the mystery of Christianity.

The first dimension of that mystery is God’s free initiative to send the Angel Gabriel to invite us to participate in the divine project. The second part of the mystery is humanity’s free response to God’s invitation: “Behold the handmaid of the Lord.” The third movement of the mystery is God’s ongoing incarnation in history via human collaboration: The Word continually becomes flesh, dwelling in and among us."

[Mary M. McGlone is a Sister of St. Joseph of Carondelet. She is a freelance writer and executive director of FUVIRESE USA, a charitable foundation that supports work with people with disabilities in Ecuador.]

http://ncronline.org/blogs/spiritual-reflections/radically-free